“Traditions of the fleet” is a subject that Carabellans study on the “History of fleet” lessons. It is also studied at the camp “Shtormovoy” (Stormy) of the All-Russian children centre “Orlyonok” on the specialized camp sessions “Gardemariny, vpered!” (Midshipmans, forward!).
Here’s an informative material for the thematic musters of mixed-aged organizations from Sverdlovskaya oblast’ and Russia “Yunyy moryak” (Young mariner). The material prepared by Maria Postnyh, flag officer of the “Carabela” squadron in retirement.
- Respect of the ship’s name Name of the ship isn’t just a formality. Sailors proud of their ship’s name because they believe that it represents the soul of a boat. On fleet it is customary to name new ships after famous vessels – resurrect them and prolong their life. Based on that tradition, in the “Carabela” squadron in 2008 were built five new yachts named after old ones: “Gorizont” (Horizon), “Meridian”, “Tropic”, “Peleng” (Bearing), “Azimuth”. In the squadron we also name our boats after literary characters, talismans and etc.
- Love for your vessel Ship is an islet of land that saved sailors in heavy storms and hostilities more than once. That’s why sailors proud of their boat and value it so much. Helmsmen and seamen had affection to the yacht they build and sailed on.
- Loyalty to the flag Flag is a symbol of the Homeland. No Russian ship ever lowered the flag in front of the enemy. The crew threats the flag with reverence.
- Unquestioning execute of orders Water is an elemental force. It often tests people with cruelty. The crew must act harmoniously in the dangerous situation to save their life and health. “There is only one commander on the vessel. Its word is an iron law”, says the paragraph of our squadron’s statue.
- Mutual assistance and support There is no fear when your friend’s shoulder next to you. Mutual assistance and support of comrades help to fight with raging waves and endure separation with family.
- Aspiration to knowledge There is no shame in admitting that you don’t know something, it’s a shame when you don’t try and idle away. Vitality of the vessel depends on knowledge and ability of each crew member to perform their part of work. The real sailors always learn, master related professions to be able to change comrades in an hour of need.
- Maintenance of cleanliness and tidiness on the vessel This tradition related to ship’s survivability. Infection spreads faster in big congestions and narrow cockpits. If clothes, working accessories and tools are in their places, crew can act promptly in any difficult situation.
the press-centre of “Carabela”
You can read the text in English
translated from Russian by Elena Erokhina